How To Take Care Of My Tattoo
Proper aftercare of a new tattoo is an essential part of the healing process. Outlined here a few things that will help you heal your beautiful new tattoo! Keep in mind, these are suggested aftercare instructions, as every tattoo will heal differently. The tattoo may weep lightly, scab, and peel or flake during healing – this is normal! It takes from three weeks to a month to heal a tattoo completely. Please consult with your artist if you have any questions!
The First 72 Hours
It is important to never touch your new tattoo without first washing your hands thoroughly – in general, keep hands off as much as possible.
- At the end of the day, or when instructed by the artist – remove the bandage or wrapping in a clean environment.
- Immediately wash the tattoo with a mild soap. Any unscented soap will do! If you don’t have a liquid soap, make sure not to put bar soap directly on the tattoo – lather in your hands, and use the underside of your fingers or your palm to wash the area.
- Do not scrub! Gently wash any lubricants off of the tattoo until the skin no longer feels greasy.
- Very gently pat your tattoo dry with a clean towel, or clean, disposable paper towel.
- Make sure you are sleeping on clean sheets and bedding – especially if you have pets!
After 72 Hours
- Wait to apply lotion or moisturizer until the tattoo begins to dry out and feel tight and/or itchy.
- Use an unscented, gentle lotion to moisturize the tattooed area. Apply a thin layer.
- Apply the lotion once or twice a day as needed. Make sure you do not over-saturate the tattoo, this does more harm than good.
- Do not scratch your pick at your tattoo! This could pull out parts of the tattoo and cause scarring. DO NOT SCRATCH.
Tattoo Touch Ups
We offer free touch ups at the artists discretion within one year of your original tattoo date. However there are particular parts of the body that are unpredictable when healing, and extra sessions are not considered touch ups. This includes: hands, wrists, ankles, feet, neck and lips.